SALGA Highlights from 2017!
Special highlights of 2017!
1. Helped two transgender women start their hormone therapy/transition process through referrals to Apicha Community Health Center
2. Hosted an event focused for South Asian LGBTQ older adults as a part of the SAGE Table series
3. Co-organized an LGBTQ iftar which was attended by over 150 people
4. Organized a focus group with LGBTQ Muslims for the NYC Commission on Human Rights
5. Organized two Women and Trans social hours.
6. Protested the rising Hindutva and anti-minority violence in India
7. Performed at the Queens Museum’s Lavender Lines exhibit opening to an audience of over 200 people
8. Initiated a discussion on LGBTQ health issues with over 50 South Asian health providers
9. Trained over 40 clinical psychology doctoral students on competency and sensitivity to LGBTQ Muslim and Hindu individuals
10. Trained 8 community members to be peer facilitators for our support group
11. Created a SALGA bibliography for our archives
12. Co-hosted a gallery event featuring Sunil Gupta’s Delhi: Communities of Belonging
In addition to these *special* events, we continued our very important core program – the monthly peer support group for LGBTQ South Asians. We also rocked out during Pride month and showed great visibility for LGBTQ South Asians. And we started regular monthly happy hours for community members to hang out and socialize in a relaxed setting. We are looking forward to a really 2018!!!